A war is raging in every country on earth. The battles of this war spill out into our churches, our schools, and our homes. This war has been going on since the beginning of history as we know it. Although I was born onto the winning side and have enjoyed the spoils of this war, I have seen too much atrocity and injustice to sit idly on the sidelines. I can’t bear to watch my foes suffer death, defeat, mutilation, abuse, and injustice any longer. Like Braveheart, Dances with Wolves, and Luke Skywalker, I am ready to fight for the losing side to bring peace to our Universe–yet even these examples are tainted with the history written by the victors.
Here are some recent atrocities from this war chosen at random off the top of my head:
- Adam Lanza guns down his mother, 6 women teachers, and 12 little girls at Sandy Hook Elementary School. 19 of his 27 victims were female.
- 23 year old college student beaten and raped on bus in Southern part of New Delhi. Rapist include 5 male passengers and the bus driver.
- 7 year old girl raped in New Delhi at municipal school where she attended.
- Domestic violence is condoned in China as part of the culture. “If you don’t beat up your wife every three days, she’ll start tearing up the roof tiles” is an old Chinese saying.
- Female Genital Mutilation continues to be practiced in Africa and the Middle East despite rising human rights and health concerns.
- United States public officials make statements about “legitimate rape,” “forcible rape,” and rape as a blessing from God.
- A 31 year old pregnant woman dies in Ireland after being denied an abortion whilst undergoing a miscarriage.
Although some women escape the physical attacks, none are immune to the psychological damage this war perpetuates. Like Big Brother or the Matrix, the ideological apparatuses employed by the Patriarchy are ubiquitous and omnipotent. This is the battlefield I chose to serve on. I am devoting my thoughts, ideas, creativity, and posts to counter this patriarchal mindset. I ask for guidance and patience from my sisters. I urge my brothers to empathize with the victims, be the change within, and join arms against one of the longest worldwide injustices in the history of
mankind humankind. I beg for forgiveness from God and all the victims I have trespassed against due to my male superiority complex.
Part of my quest for peace has to include creating peace between all men and women. A belief system that makes one group universally superior to another cannot provide the equality nor empathy required for peace. My first steps towards peace will be to re-think, deconstruct, and replace this patriarchal ideology.
Will you join me? Why or why not? Please share.
Thank you for reading, empathizing, and/or sharing.
- ‘A silent war against women and children’: Vicious gang-rape and mutilation of teen sparks calls for action in rape-plagued South Africa (news.nationalpost.com)
- Misogyny and the Law: Confronting America’s Rape Culture (bigthink.com)
- Rape in #Syria (yallasouriya.wordpress.com)
- Thanks Ladies! (Rarasaur.wordpress.com)